Well, I haven't tackled the Tiramisu just yet, but I was able to make Mascarpone!
This recipe (Food 52) made it so dang easy and all it takes are two ingredients: cream and lemon juice.
I don't have pictures of the process, because both hands were busy stirring the cream and using an instant-read thermometer to keep the temperature in check. However, here's the final result:
And not only are there two ingredients, there are only five steps to make the cheese:
- Heat the cream to 180 degrees.
- Let it simmer at that temp for three minutes, then add the lemon juice.
- Simmer for another three minutes, then remove from heat. Cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Fill a small strainer with layers of cheesecloth and put a small bowl under the strainer.
- Pour the cooled cheese into the cheesecloth and place the entire bowl in the fridge overnight.
The only thing I will do differently the next time is to try using a coffee filter, instead of cheesecloth, to strain off the whey. I am hoping it will be easier to remove the cheese after its stay in the refrigerator.
The final product is amazingly thick with a slight tang and tastes absolutely delicious. For this batch, I'm going to serve it with some lovely strawberries.
Can't wait to make Tiramisu!