Saturday, March 14, 2015

Ginger Fried Rice

I am a sucker for recipes that call for topping a dish with a sunny-side-up egg. There's something about breaking open the yolk and seeing all that gooey liquid gold ooze out. Not to mention that I just love the taste of eggs.

That's why I couldn't resist this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. 

I got the ball rolling by mincing some garlic and ginger, then popping these tidbits into a pan with some pre-heated oil. 

When they were nice and crispy, they got removed to some paper towels and sprinkled with salt. They looked so good that I had to taste them right away. And geez, I could have devoured all of them right then and there.


In the same pan, I added a bit more oil then added some thinly sliced onions. The recipe calls for leeks, but they can be hard to come by here. 



I let the onions cook down until they were tender, then added in the rice that I had cooked the previous day.



After the rice started to brown a bit, I lowered the heat and cooked up two sunny-side-up eggs.

I spooned the rice on our plates, covered it with that yummy egg, drizzled some sesame oil and soy sauce on top, then finished with the crispy, brown ginger and garlic bits.


We had ourselves a winner! The combination of the creamy yolk, mixed with the crispy rice would have been good enough. But that extra crunch from the ginger/garlic bits took the dish to the next level. We also loved the warm flavor of the sesame oil combined with the saltiness of the soy sauce. 

Can't wait to make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment