Sunday, January 10, 2016

Ratatouille-Inspired Stew

Now that we are having cooler temperatures, the urge to make stews and soups hits me. I wasn't in the mood to make something like chili, but the prospect of doing a riff on Ratatouille appealed to me.

I decided to see what kind of veggies were available at our favorite market stand and came home with some lovely carrots, squash, onions, tomatoes, and potatoes. All of these items were cut into bite-sized pieces. And to give an extra boost in the flavor department, I coated them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and put them in a pre-heated 400-degree oven for about 40 minutes.


When the veggies were done, I put them all in a pot, poured in about two cups of chicken broth and a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes.


I let the mixture simmer until the sauce thickened a bit.

The end result was awesome. The roasted veggies bring a richness to the stew that we really loved and the variety of veggies added various textures. This stew really comes together rather quickly and is the perfect dish for a cool evening.






1 comment:

  1. I will have try the pre-roasting trick. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete