Sunday, February 1, 2015

Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)

One look at the ingredient list for this recipe, and I was sold. I just love the smell and taste of coriander, cumin, cloves, ginger and the like. And surprisingly enough, I even found cardamom in town. Combine all that with tomatoes and cream, well, I was pretty sure this dish would be a winner.

The first step was making the marinade with all the lovely spices and lime juice.


Everything got mixed together and popped into the fridge overnight.

My intent was to make the dish the next day, but we were involved in a bit of an adventure with our friends. As a result, the chicken marinated for two nights, instead of one.

When the time came to complete the recipe, I started by sauteing some onions in 1/4 cup of butter.


The marinated chicken got added in the pan and cooked for about 10 minutes.


Next the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes were added. A lid got put on, and whole shooting match cooked for 30 more minutes.


Right before serving, this lovely, delicious cream was stirred in.


Oh my.


I plated the chicken and sauce over a bed of Basmati rice and served it with some flatbread.




The sauce is absolutely outstanding and perfectly balanced. I did think there was a bit too much sauce to the ratio of chicken, but that is easily remedied. and speaking of chicken, it did taste a bit tough. But I think that was due to over marinating.

This meal will definitely be making repeat appearances on The Wright Table.


P.S. We used some of the extra butter sauce on top homemade pizza and it was incredibly tasty.



No comments:

Post a Comment