Sunday, February 1, 2015

Torshi Seer (Fermented Garlic)

The idea of fermented garlic intrigued me, so I thought it would be fun to try this recipe, described as a "sweet-tart Persian pickle."

There was just one problem, one of the ingredients is dried barberries. I had never heard of them and would probably have had a tough enough time trying to find them in the States. 

But after some online research, I discovered that dried cranberries are a good substitute. We're starting to see more dried fruit options in some of the grocery stores here, and I scored a big bag of dried cranberries at the local Indian market.

Balsamic and red wine vinegars were put into a saucepan, along with the berries, honey, salt, and thyme. Once the mixture came to a boil, it was poured over the heads of garlic.


The mixture needs to ferment for about six to eight weeks or until the garlic cloves are very soft.

Will let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment