Sunday, June 7, 2015

Chocolate Roulade

I had been on the lookout for something different to make as a dessert. So when this recipe (courtesy of mon petit four) appeared on my Facebook feed, it looked so pretty that I knew I had to try it.

The first thing I did was to line my sheet pan with parchment paper. I find that applying a light spritz of cooking spray to the bottom of the pan helps keep the parchment paper in place.

Next I whipped up the egg whites until they achieved wet, soft peaks.


The egg whites got set aside and I started whisking the egg yolks and sugar until they turned pale yellow. Then I sifted and whisked the dry ingredients together.


The dry ingredients were combined with the egg yolk/sugar mixture, then the egg whites were folded in.


So far, all was going to plan. I poured the mixture into my prepared pan, smoothed it out, and popped the pan into a pre-heated 425 degree oven. After three minutes, I rotated the pan, then set the timer for three more minutes to test for doneness. The cake seemed to be done, but there wasn't as much spring to it as I had hoped. 

This is the point where the wheels started to fall off, a bit. 

Per the recipe's instructions, I let the cake cool for a couple of minutes, then turned it out on a kitchen towel that had been sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.

I peeled off the parchment paper, then oh-so-gently, rolled the cake in the towel and let it cool.

Once cooled, I unrolled the cake.


Dagnabit! The cake cracked. I suspect I might have over-baked by about 30-45 seconds. It was apparent, to even the most casual observer, the final outcome was not going to be overly pretty.

Moving on, I whipped up the cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla. That got spread on the cake.


It was time to roll it back up.



Okay, looking down on it, the cake didn't look too bad. But you really need to see it from the side.


Oy. Clearly lost some major style points on this one.

The upside? My faithful testers thought it tasted just grand and they really seemed to like the richness of the cream. Also, everyone seemed to be in favor of being guinea pigs again as I experiment with the cake side of things. Am thinking something more of a sponge cake might do the trick. Will let you all know how that goes in an upcoming post.

No comments:

Post a Comment