Thursday, June 25, 2015

Pappardelle with Artichokes and Shrimp

This dish is a great example of adapting ingredients to achieve a tasty meal. When I saw this recipe (courtesy of Alimentari),the combination of flavors sounded great.

Right off the bat, I knew scoring raw artichoke hearts wasn't going to happen. But we can get artichoke hearts in cans and jars, so that part of the recipe could be checked off.

The pappardelle? Well some type of dried pasta would work in its place, but I decided to make my own. 

With the pasta made and cut, it was just a matter of bringing all the pieces and parts together.

I cut up the jarred artichokes and set them and the liquid they were jarred in to the side. White wine and garlic were put into a saute pan and allowed to reduce (keeping an eye on the garlic that it didn't burn).

In the meantime, I got water going to cook the pappardelle. 

When the wine had reduced in the saute pan, I added a bit of olive oil to the pan and tossed in the shrimp. In no time at all the shrimp turned pink, and the reserved chopped artichokes and liquid were added to the pan.

The cooked pasta was then tossed in and it was time to eat.


David and I agreed that the pappardelle was cut just a tad too wide, but other than that we really liked this dish. The acidity of the artichokes is nicely balanced out by the wine reduction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment