Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dutch Baby with Strawberry Orange Compote

Just how cute is the term dutch baby? When this recipe popped up on my Facebook feed, I was intrigued.

I never heard of it before, but after doing a bit of online research, I came to find out that Dutch babies are similar to German pancakes. As I wanted to try something new and different for a sweet snack, this recipe fit the bill. 

The first thing I did was to make the compote a day ahead of making the cake. This was due to a slew of other cooking/baking stuff I already had in the works. 

Now here in Corozal, you can find a variety of fruits, but fresh cranberries aren't among them. But I did find some lovely strawberries at the market and decided to give them a try.

I quartered them up, then put in a splash of orange juice, and the sugar.


I let it cook for about 15 minutes, giving it an occasional stir. In the meantime, the smell of strawberries perfumed the house. That's an aroma I could get used to.

Once the strawberry mixture reduced and thickened, I took the pot off the heat and let the mixture cool down. 


The next day, I made the Dutch baby. 

The butter went into the cast iron pan and set in a pre-heated 425 degree oven. In the meantime, I beat the eggs, then added the milk and flour.

By that time, the butter had melted...


...and I poured in the egg mixture.


While the cake was doing its thing in the oven, I warmed up the compote. After baking for about 20 minutes, the baby was ready to come out. 


And Voila!


Final verdict?

While the cake was slightly under baked in the middle, the overall taste and texture was very nice. The strawberry orange compote was a delight -- not too sweet, not too tart.

I will definitely be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment